Can you imagine more than 10 million cases per year in India alone suffering from lactose intolerance?
And they don’t even know about it. Shocking right?
Health benefits of plant-based drink
- They’re healthier - Plant-based drink is very much in demand due to their health benefits.
- Lactose-Free Milk alternative: The majority of the population complains of immediate discomfort like bloating, gas, nausea, and upset stomach after consuming dairy products. Plant-based drinks are dairy-free milk that provides relief from such symptoms.
- Zero Cholesterol: Plant-based milk contains zero cholesterol, 90% less saturated fats, and a lot of healthier unsaturated fats. These all lead to maintaining healthy blood cholesterol levels and avoiding cardiovascular diseases long-term.
- Gluten-Free Milk: Most of plant-based milk alternatives are free from major allergens like soy, nuts, and gluten. Also, look for those brands that don't contain any artificial chemicals, flavors, or preservatives.
- Gut-friendly: Plant-based drink contains healthy soluble and insoluble fibers that do magic for our gut health. Apart from the brain, the gut is the only other organ that releases the happiness hormone serotonin in our blood. So if you want to remain healthy both physically and mentally, maybe it's time to switch to gut-friendly food items.
- Better for the planet - Plant-based products are not only good for our health, but also for our planet.
- Water resources: Do you know it takes 1000 liters of water to produce a liter of milk compared to 100 liters needed for making plant-based milk from almonds, soy, and other plant-based drink? That’s huge!
- Carbon Emissions: Animal farming is the major cause of greenhouse gas emissions. Dairy farms produce more methane and use more water as compared to any other sector. Dairy alternative on the other hand has a low carbon footprint compared to dairy industries.
- Land Depletion: A lot of farmable land in the world is used for producing crops that will be used for feeding animals that we are growing for making milk and other products out of them. In comparison, if we make milk directly out of them, we will end up cutting down on land resources by up to 70%
- They taste Soo good- Plant-based drink tastes so creamy and delicious.
- Versatile: They are quite versatile, and you can make anything from them, from cakes to smoothies to tea and coffee.
- Diversity: The best part about the non-dairy drink is that you have a lot to offer ranging from almonds, soy, oats, rice, hemp, cashew, pistachio, cowpeas, and even moongs for that matter.
- Switch: You name it and they have it. Plant-based drink industries are growing rapidly with the increase in their consumption. According to a survey in the USA, 67% of the population prefers dairy alternatives as compared to animal-based milk products.
- Mother's milk is for their babies: Animal-based products are considered cruel, as we steal milk from someone else's mother meant for their babies.
- Vegan Milk is ethical: On the other hand, plant-based products are cruelty-free milk alternatives. Also, they are environment-friendly as well as vegan-friendly.
In India, we are less aware of the food choices that we make on a day-to-day basis and tend to underestimate their impact on our overall well-being.
A lot of our food choices are habitual, and we rarely question them, in fact, most of the time we fight back on anything that challenges are biases that we have accumulated from childhood.
It's time to think carefully about the choices we make and challenge our traditional knowledge to live a better, healthier & richer lifestyle.