Giving up dairy completely is daunting! But for some of us, consuming the same dairy is a nightmare.
If you want to switch from dairy products to something healthier and more ethical- here comes plant based milk.
What is Vegan Milk?
Vegan milk is plant-based milk made of nuts, soy, oats, legumes, grains, and even millet for that matter.
It is non-dairy milk that does not have any dairy in it. It is free from any kind of lactose & casein.
Vegan milk is environmental-friendly and sustainable as compared to cow’s milk. Dairy-free milk is way healthier than cow’s milk as it is free from all injected hormones and adulterations.
There are several health benefits of plant-based milk.
Types of Vegan Milk:
- Almonds: It is rich in Vitamin E, Magnesium, and Calcium. This milk has a nutty flavour and is creamiest.
- Soy: It is rich in proteins and has better amino acids profile compared to other plant-based milk. This plant-based drink has a sweet taste as compared with the rest.
- Oats: This plant-based milk is enriched with goodness and has a slight sweetness. It consists of Riboflavin, Phosphorus, and many more. Oats are famous for soluble fibers also known as Beta-glucans. Get the complete knowledge about oat milk.
- Hemp: Hemp is also another type of dairy alternative. It is rich in Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. Hemp milk has all nine amino acids, and Potassium.
- Cashew: This vegan milk contains heart-healthy good fats, Calcium &Potassium. It is rich in Vitamin K.
- Coconut: Coconut milk is rich in good fats, and it has a good amount of Copper and Selenium.
- Pea: It is a great source of several nutrients like potassium, vitamin A and vitamin D that can help support heart health, healthy vision and nutrient absorption.
- Pecans: This plant-based milk is a good source of Magnesium, Calcium, and Potassium.
Why Vegan Milk?
They’re healthier – Plant-based milk is very much in demand due to their health benefits. The majority of the population complains of immediate discomfort like bloating, gas, nausea, and upset stomach.
- Better for the planet- Do you know it takes 680 liters of water to produce a liter of milk compared to almond, soy, and other plant-based milk?
That’s huge! Animal farming is the major cause of greenhouse gas emissions. Dairy farms produce more methane and use more water as compared to any other sector.
Dairy alternative on other hand has a low carbon footprint compared to dairy industries.
- They taste so good- Plant-based milk tastes so creamy and delicious. They are quite versatile and you can make anything from them, from cakes to tea and coffee.
There are various health benefits of plant-based milk. The best part about the non-dairy milk is that you have a lot to offer ranging from almonds, soy, oats, rice, hemp, cashew, pistachio, cowpeas, and even moongs for that matter.
You name it and they have it. Plant-based milk industries are growing rapidly with the increase in their consumption including India too.
According to a survey in the USA, 67% of the population prefers vegan milk as compared to dairy.
- Cruelty-free - Few people might see the dairy industry as cruel as we are taking someone else's milk, supposed for their babies.
Health Benefits of Vegan Milk-
Due to awareness, many people across the globe are getting enlightened and are raising their voices and opinions on animal cruelty and environmental issues.
They are boycotting dairy and other such institutions. As there are many health benefits of plant based milk.
Vegans advocate and promote the use of plant-based milk.
These plant-based beverages are healthy and provide good-quality milk. Vegan milk is healthy as it has all the essential vitamins and they are rich in fiber contributing to healthy gut health and overall health.
Vegan milk is little less in protein value as compared to cow’s milk, but is free from injected hormones and adulterations, resulting in a better choice and a better dairy alternative.
They are a good source of lactose free alternative and are free from casein.
Vegan milk is healthy non-dairy milk for people who are lactose-intolerant or have milk allergies.
They are fortified with essential vitamins and proteins. People who suffer from lactose intolerance, milk allergies, acne, PCOS, PCOD, IBS, and even Asthma and many more prefer dairy alternatives instead of regular milk.
Vegan milk is good alternative milk.
Learn more about: Benefits of Oat Milk.
Vegan Milk vs Cow’s Milk
- No hormones
- Less water consumption
- Less land consumption
- Low in fat and calories
- Lower carbon footprint
- Rich in minerals and vitamins
- Combination of mono and polyunsaturated fats
- Some plant-based milk is enriched with omega 3 and omega 6.
- Gut friendly
- Low sugar quantity
- Helps in lowering LDL (bad) cholesterol and increasing HDL (good) cholesterol
- 60% lactose intolerant
- One of the major 9 allergens
- around 7% of the children suffer from cow’s milk allergies
- Cause of acne and skin problem, leads to PCOD.
- Increase LDL (bad) cholesterol and cause many problems.
- major cause of carbon footprint
- consume lot of water
- high insulin genic response
One of the health benefits of plant-based milk is that they are often fortified with vitamins and minerals. Vitamin D, for example, is often added.
Cow’s milk naturally contains very little vitamin D, although it is possible to buy fortified varieties. However, most plant-based milk is now fortified with Vitamin B12.
Sales of non-vegan milk have exploded in the last few years with a decline in cow’s milk.
People who have stopped consuming regular milk and have shifted to plant-based milk reported a decline in their problems.
People who suffer from lactose intolerance, milk allergies, acne, PCOS, PCOD, IBS, and even Asthma and many more prefer dairy alternatives instead of regular milk. Vegan milk is good alternative milk.
Q1. Is vegan milk good for weight loss?
Yes, vegan milk is good for weight loss. Not only are they dairy and lactose-free, but they are low in calories and have less saturated fats.
It is preferred to consume unsweetened vegan milk if looking for weight loss.
Q2. What is the healthiest milk to drink on a diet?
Most vegan milk is healthy option to consume as compared to animal milk. Vegan milk is power packed with Vitamins and Minerals and is also full of fiber and is gut friendly.
You can also try Pilk as it is carefully made with blended proteins.
Know More About: Plant Based Diet
Q3. Can we make Tea/Coffee from vegan milk?
Yes, you can make your Tea/Coffee from vegan milk in the same manner like you make with your dairy milk.
Q4. Can vegan milk provide us with enough calcium?
Yes, vegan milk has sufficient amount of calcium and is also fortified with Vitamin D and B12.
Q5. is vegan milk low in cholesterol?
Most vegan milk is low in cholesterol and helps in lowering the LDL Cholesterol which is the ‘bad’ cholesterol.
Fat content in vegan milk is less as compared to animal milk.
If your from Bangalore must visit this blog: Best Vegan Restaurants in Bangalore.