Recipe of Plant Based Curd:
Let's make your curd healthier by giving it a twist of Pilk. You can either use Agar-agar to set it thicker or can avoid that too. Also, you can prepare your own culture (method given) or can use regular curd leftovers or use any probiotic capsules available in the market.
Time required: 20 minutes + setting time (5-12 hours)
Yields: 400 ml
- 2 bottles Pilk (200 ml each)
- 1-2 tablespoon curd starter*
- 1/2 teaspoon agar agar powder (optional)
- Pour the contents of the Pilk bottles into a container. Heat it till it boils.
- Cool down Pilk to a lukewarm level and add starter curd
- Starter curd can be your leftover curd from regular milk or any probiotic capsules. You can also make your own culture (Method 2). Use the double quantity of starter curd as you would use it for regular milk.
- Keep aside to set for as long as you would for regular curd according to the climatic conditions in your region. The setting time would vary from 5 to 7 hours in summer to 10–12 hours in winter.
- If it doesn't set, reheat and let it get lukewarm again. Add some more starter curd and wait for another 4–5 hrs.
- Pour the contents of the Pilk bottles into a deep-bottomed saucepan. Add agar agar powder and mix well. Keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring continuously until agar agar is fully dissolved. Let it simmer for 1 minute. Switch off the heat and transfer to another container in which you want to set the curd.
- Let the Pilk cool down until it is lukewarm—you should be able to dip a finger comfortably. Mix in the vegan curd starter.
- Keep aside to set for as long as you would for dairy curd according to the climatic conditions in your region. The setting time would vary from 5-7 hours in summer to 10-12 hours in winter.
How to make a curd starter?
Take 1 level tablespoon of split yellow moong dal in a bowl and soak it in 1/3 cup water. Keep aside overnight (8-10 hours) in summers, or up to a day in winters. The water will become bubbly. Strain out the moong dal and use this water to set vegan curd (Yoghurt).
You can also use any probiotic capsule too instead of the regular curd leftover or above curd starter.
Click here to know more about: What is vegan milk and their benefits?
Waiting to receive my batch
Thanks will try it